Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pure Delight

Today I took a break and headed outside with my children. I feel so refreshed by the laughter and excitement of my kids and the beautiful sunshine. I do enjoy the outdoors, but I rarely venture out with my kids. It always seems I have too much to accomplish inside to take a break and head out. I find it much easier to just send the kids out because that gives me a few minutes on my own to get a few things done. But, today was different. We all went out, even the baby in the front pack. The kids rode their bikes and scooters and I just walked and pushed dd2 on her bike. It was delightful.

As I sit here now and reflect, I think about how much I love my kids and truly delight in them. I have to admit, though, that I am often distracted by all the things that need to get done and I push my kids aside to tend to my own agenda. This is not how I want to live or how I want my kids to view me. In years to come, I don't want my kids saying, "my mom is a very good cook or baker" or "my mom keeps our house very clean and neat", but "we really don't know her and she doesn't really know us." That puts a fear in me. More than anything else, I want my kids to know they are special and I love them each for the person they are. Just as God delights in us, I want to delight in my children.

Lord, when life is so busy all around me, please help me to see my children through your eyes. Help me to take time out of my agenda and focus, listen or just watch my children and delight in them. Help me to show them how much they are loved by my smile, my touch and my words. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! You really inspire me :), it is just what I was needing.

I love your new blog!! I'm really excited & can't wait to read more!

Joni said...

Hi Marti! I'm looking forward to your new homeschool blog. Hope all is well with you and the kiddos and you are getting some rest with a new little one in the house. Let me know if you guys need a little USA care package!