Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Observation

Today as I was sitting at the table with the boys doing their table-work, I noticed that my two year old daughter kept insisting on sitting on my lap. She really is good though and she likes to take the colored pencils and/or pens and draw on paper I give her and sometimes in her brother's books. As I thought about it more, I came to the realization that everyday when we are doing table-work, she is found in my lap. I wondered to myself, "why is she choosing to sit on my lap instead of being out playing, watching TV or getting into trouble?" As I thought about it, my thoughts took me back to this time last fall and even the previous spring. She would have been somewhere between 8-14 months old. When she woke up from her morning nap, she would sit on my lap while I worked with the boys on their table-work. She is doing it now, because that is what she remembers about school and thinks that is the best place to be. At times this irritates me a bit because it is more difficult to see around her and to write, but as I reflect on her little habit and the reasons she does it, I am very thankful that she desires to be close to me and it is a little bonding time for the two of us. That, and it keeps her out of trouble.

No comments: