Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pregnancy and Food

I know I mentioned this in my last blog a little, but I wanted to explain myself a little. For the last 7-8 weeks, food and I have had a love hate relationship. The hate part comes when I need to eat (or be sick) and nothing sounds good. I search the house over for something to take away my nausea and head ache, but usually I find nothing that would be beneficial to my body or to the baby's.

Which brings me to my next point. I have always had a sweet tooth, especially loving anything chocolate. In the past, I would have had to have a sweet snack in the afternoon and again after dinner or before bed. About 10-12 months ago, I really started working hard to eat a bit more healthy. I cut out my afternoon snack of cookies or candy. If I was hungry, I would eat a banana, orange or some nuts. I would only eat sugary foods after dinner or before bed. I even tried to do it right after dinner as I have read it is healthier to stop eating a couple hours before bed. I was doing really well and I was proud of myself. I didn't even crave sweets as much. When I became pregnant this time, I was relieved and happy that I had already gotten myself into the habit of snacking less and choosing more healthy options. Well, let me say that is all out the window. I crave sugary food all the time now that I am pregnant, especially after meals and in the afternoon. I can't resist. Why is it that at the time when I should be eating things healthy for me and baby, I can't? AHHH! It is so frustrating.

So, if anyone has any ideas of healthy snacks I could try or ideas on snacking while pregnant, please leave me a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about fruit? I've been eating fruit like crazy, it's sweet and it's healthy for you :)
Ivory loves fruit too, our favorites are bananas (which is good for headaches cos' of potassium), blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, pears, peaches, plums, oh & cherries!
(see how much this preggo has been craving fruit, haha! I could go on forever listing fruit)

if you really need some chocolate then melt some chocolate chips and dip the fruit in that, atleast you are getting the best of both worlds that way! :)
Or what's really yummy is mixing the fruit in with vanilla yogurt & granola(i buy organic yogurt to avoid the HFCS and other yucky stuff)

also what helps me with nausea is to eat something sour, like dill pickles, lemons, sour candy, etc.

Hope that helps some :)

Holli said...

some of my favorites as of late....
greek yogurt with a bit of honey,
mix nut and dried fruit- love the one from Sainsburys and
apple with some natural peanut butter.