Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Making Beds

A very European thing that I have embraced is Duvets. For the first six weeks we were in England, we lived with rental furniture, towels, and bedding until our crate came with our own things. All of our bedding consisted of a fitted sheet and a duvet with a duvet cover, no flat sheet. For our bed, I missed the flat sheet and I do still use my flat sheet under my duvet. But, for the kids I love the idea of the duvets. After our rental stuff was taken away, I went right out and bought duvet covers in patterns for all of the kids beds. I didn't have to buy the duvets, because we got to keep the rental ones. Having duvets on the kid's beds makes them so much easier for them to make. They just throw the duvet back over the top of their beds and off they go. No silly flat sheet that gets pushed to the foot of the bed or needs to get it straightened out. Duvets are especially nice for bunk beds which are hard to make anyways. I do admit, though, that I wash the bottom fitted sheet more regularly than the duvet cover. Even the littlest kids have them on their beds. They are quick for mommy to make too. When we move back to America, I am taking the duvets with me!

Visit Ship Full O' Pirates for more Help For Growing Families.

3 comments:

Cyndi Lewis said...

So when you wash bedding does the duvet cover come off and you just wash that? My kids hate flat sheets and are forever just using their comforters or another blanket. This causes me to have to wash said items instead of just the sheets. Duvets would indeed make making beds easier and perhaps keep the bedding wash down.

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea. We do the same thing but with out the cover. So, like you said, the blankies get a more frequent wash than they would if we used the despised flat-sheet, but it does facilitate the bed making process.

Marti said...

Cyndi,

Yes, when I wash the bedding I just take the duvet cover off and wash that. I only wash the duvet/comforter if it is soiled or once or twice a year. It definitely cuts down on the wash. It is little more than just a flat sheet.

Sometimes, it can be a bit tricky to get the duvet covers back on, which is why they get washed less frequent. For the double bed, I usually need an extra set of hands. Still, it is so much worth it.